At some point in the day, everyone is a pedestrian, and unfortunately, pedestrian fatalities remain high.
A new report on traffic safety on global road deaths illustrates exactly that the U.S. Leads the Developed World on Traffic Deaths: Americans drive too much and laws are too permissive of deadly behavior.
the World Health Organization In Its global report, which reviewed laws and accidents in 175 States, explains that U.S.’s traffic fatality rate is 12.4 deaths per 100,000.
That means 50 percent higher than similar nations in Western Europe, plus Australia, Canada, and Japan.
About 1.3 million people are being killed globally by vehicle crashes every year, a huge proportion of them pedestrians.
According to NHTSA, “ There was a more than 3% increase in the number of pedestrians killed in traffic crashes in 2018, totaling 6,283 deaths — the most deaths since 1990”.
likewise, The USA’s totals population is 327.167.424. Vehicle miles traveled (millions) are 3,240,323. The number of fatal crashes is 33,654. The number of Deaths is 36,560. Number of Deaths per 100,000 population is 11.2. Number Of Deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled is 1.13 (Ref. U.S. Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).
Under the authority of the CDC, these figures average out to two pedestrians injured every seven minutes. Even when auto/pedestrian accidents aren’t fatal, they can be debilitating, causing costly, life-changing injuries.
If you have a car crash as a pedestrian and suffered injuries as a consequence, you deserve compensation for your damages. But, You should hire a car crash lawyer because, without the representation, you risk being awarded nothing at all.
Some primordial definitions
Who Qualifies as a Pedestrian?
For the purposes of accident liability law, a pedestrian is an injury victim who was not in a motor vehicle at the time of a automobile accident. As such, you qualify as a pedestrian if you were wounded while: Traveling on foot, Changing a tire, riding in a wheelchair, Cleaning the outside of the windshield.
As a pedestrian, you may be partially liable for the accident if you:
- Crossed the street against the signals
- Were jaywalking
- Darted into traffic
WHAT ARE THE TOP CAUSES OF PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS?
- Failure to slow down at a crosswalk;
- Traffic congestion At busy times;
- Vehicles failing to yield to the right-of-way,
- Vehicle failing to adhere to a traffic device or signal
- Failure to come to a full stop at an intersection
- Drivers failing to keep a lookout
- Speeding vehicles
- Busy roads
- Vehicles making a left or right turn into a pedestrian
- Excessive speeding
- Large SUVs and high horsepower vehicles
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs,
- Failure to yield or stop at a crosswalk
- Drowsy driving
- Impaired drivers
- Drowsy motorists
- Drivers texting while driving
Pedestrians cause accidents by:
- Walking outside of crosswalks
- Ignoring a traffic signal
- Walking in prohibited areas
- Failing to walk on the sidewalk
- Wearing dark clothing at night
TYPES OF INJURIES SUFFERED
According to a study by the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, a pedestrian accident is more likely to involve severe injuries:
- Broken or crushed bones
- Cuts, Amputations, bruises, and scrapes to head
- Muscle, ligament, and tendon damage
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Organ damage and internal bleeding
Also, two percent more pedestrians die from traffic accidents than do other individuals, such as drivers or passengers.
The sheer size and force of an oncoming vehicle can cause serious damage to an unprotected pedestrian. Many of these accidents end in severe, life-threatening injuries that can cause disability and death.
In pedestrian crashes involving adults, the vehicle will typically hit the legs of the individual on foot, causing the person’s legs to be pushed forward and the upper body and head to hit the car windshield or hood.
At the most common injuries in pedestrian accidents involving children are traumatic brain injuries and musculoskeletal pain frequently involving muscles and ligaments in the upper and lower legs, which can cause long-term disabilities.
WHAT TO DO WHEN A PEDESTRIAN IS HIT BY A CAR?
If you are crossing the street and were suddenly hit by a moving vehicle, you should:
- Check for injuries and Seek Immediate Medical Attention if you can.
- Call the Police At 911;
- Obtain medical care If you are hurt, do not hesitate to go to the hospital.
- Take photos and video
- Gather the driver’s information, If you can do so safely, get the vehicle driver’s name, contact information, and insurance policy information.
- Ask for witnesses’ accounts
- Call a car wreck lawyer Or a car wreck attorney.
FILING A PERSONAL INJURY LAWSUIT FOR PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS
You have two options for pursuing legal action for a pedestrian accident:
- You can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or you can file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. If you receive an insurance settlement from the at-fault driver, you cannot file an additional lawsuit.
- If you have significant injuries that exceed an insurance company’s policy limits, we recommend that you file a personal injury claim to increase the maximum compensation you could collect.
What kind of damages can be claimed in a pedestrian accident lawsuit
Through a personal injury lawsuit, you can collect compensatory damages for economic and non-economic damages after an auto accident:
- Medical expenses, including hospitalization fees, surgeries, medications, physical therapies, and mobility equipment
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Lost income
- Permanent disability
How a Pedestrian accident attorney Or Car Accident Lawyer can help after a pedestrian accident?
The consideration of who was at fault, as well as what the compensation should be, can often make the pedestrian out of the compensation they are owed.
Likewise, Why is it highly recommended to hire an auto accident attorney, Then I would even claim, the best car accident lawyer, to represent you after a pedestrian accident?
- To prove liability in order to effectively argue for the optimal settlement amount.
Because you could be refused compensation completely If an insurance company or court finds you acted negligently when you distracted while you looking down to your cell phone, and where you jaywalking when the crash occurred.
- A pedestrian accident lawyer has to determine, as mentioned above, the extent of damages suffered by the pedestrian, such as:
- Medical bills and Future potential medical bills
- Medications and medical supplies
- Long term care costs
- Lost wages due to missing work and Loss of financial factors due to inability to continue working
- Future estimated lost wages
- Loss of earning potential
You must be aware!.
Finally, it should be noted that we must note that, there are two parts to the lawsuit resulting from the traffic accident, which is the civil and criminal parts.
As You Know, the pedestrian can be exposed to a traffic accident with a car or a motorcycle, and in any case, You can hire a pedestrian accident lawyer, a pedestrian accident attorney or a motorcycle accident lawyer.