Car Seat importance for children’s safety against car accidents. that’s the main question that I’ll try to get response and claim What Should be done to increase the parent’s and society’s awareness?
When can a child seat in the front seat? Can my 7-year-old sit in the front seat?
When can a child legally sit in the front seat in Colorado, or California for example?
can you put your child in the front seat in USA?
Those are the questions asked by peoples in the forums and on social media and need responses.
Among the victims of a car accident are children because parents neglect the danger of not installing a car seat, sometimes due to the failure of the car seat.
In the USA, An estimated 59% of car seats are installed or used improperly. About 40% of the children riding with adults who are not using their seat belt are also unrestrained
As You Know, but sometimes it seems that you don’t care, a car seat use reduces the risk for injury in crashes by 71–82% for children, when compared with seat belt use alone.
In 2017, restraint use saved the lives of 325 children ages 4 years and younger.
Also, 794 children ages 12 years and younger died as occupants in motor vehicle crashes.
So, please be aware, make sure children are properly buckled in an infant car seat, booster seat, or seat belt whichever is appropriate for their weight, height, and age.
Car seat: Common Terminology and Definitions:
Federal approval means the car seat infant meets the federals standards by crash testing the child restraint to ensure it meets certain crash criteria.
Proper use, means the car seats are being used based on instructions for that particular product. These instructions include installation, use the size requirements.
And/Or meaning in the law:
- “And” means the child needs to meet both (or all) criteria set in the law.
- “Or” means the child can meet one criteria or the other.
Car seat Types
- All in One Seat: This seat can change from a rear-facing seat to a forward-facing seat (with a harness and tether) and to a booster seat as a child grows.
- Combination Seat: As a child grows, this seat transitions from a forward-facing seat with a harness and tether into a booster.
- Convertible Seat: As a child grows, this seat can change from a rear-facing seat to a forward-facing seat with a harness and tether.
Recommended car seats based on your child’s age and size
One of the most common questions we are receiving is: “when is the right time for my child to change to the next car seat?” and this is an important question!
Rear Facing Car Seat
Baby carriers (between Birth to 12 Months)
Your baby under age 1 should always ride in a rear-facing baby car seats. There are different types of rear-facing car seats for babies:
- Infant-only seats can only be used rear-facing.
- Convertible and all in one car seats typically have higher height and weight limits for the rear-facing position, allowing you to keep your child rear-facing for a longer period of time possible.
Toddler car seats (between 1 to 3 Years )
Keep your toddler rear-facing as long as possible. It’s the best way to keep him or her safe.
Your child should remain in a rear-facing car seat until he or she reaches the top height or weight limit allowed by your car seat’s manufacturer.
Once your child outgrows the rear-facing car seat, your child is ready to travel in a forward-facing car seat.
Forward Facing Car Seat
High back booster seats (Between 4 – 12 Years)
By law, your child should sit in an approved car seat to at least 135 cm or 12 years.
An average 40-pound child is typically closer to age five, a much safer age to consider making a transition to booster use.
And many booster seats you can use in both a high back and backless configuration have a higher minimum weight limit of 40 pounds when used in the backless mode.
Car seat law
In USA, Globally, The observed trend shows many states continuing efforts to update their laws to be consistent with the latest vehicle safety recommendations.
Each state modifying their laws on average 6 times over the over 30 year period.
So, if you haven’t looked at the requirements for a few years, they may be entirely different from what you used for an older child.
What are the all states requirements car seat laws when you’re on vacation?:
- Children between the ages of 4 and 8 the law require to ride in a car seat.
- Children more than 40 pounds or over four feet, nine inches tall are allowed to be secured with the vehicle’s seat belt system.
But there are some differences between each state within the United States. That can be confusing for parents and caregivers who travel between states often, or for families that move to a different state.
This is what I’ll examine next time.
But Let me ask a question about the failure to use child safety seats in order to measure the personal Injury Liability and also the parental or the driver’s responsibility. So, What USA’s law say?
Personal Injury Liability failure to use the child safety seat
Injuries Caused by “User Error”
There are some situations that determinate caregiver liability such as:
- When a caregiver neglects to restrain a child in a safety seat,
- Fails to use the seat in a proper position in the vehicle,
- Or fails to install the seat correctly,
So, liability for negligence could result if that carelessness causes or contributes to a child’s injuries in a car accident.
Injuries Caused by Product Defects
- The manufacturer can be held liable when the claims are typically based on design defects, manufacturing defects and/or failure-to-warn. Even when car seats are properly installed and used, injuries may occur if some defect has rendered the car seat unsafe.
- Design Defects is based on the argument that some fundamental flaw exists in the original design of the product, rendering it unreasonably dangerous to people who use it.
- Failure to Warn when no text in an instruction manual and no stickers.
Conclusion and recommendations:
In spite of the fact that all parents should know and respect the child’s rights, by observing legal theories of liability and potential lawsuits, but child safety is prior.
So, You must be aware of two principal tips :
- Ensure, install the car seat properly before moving, and use all the restraints vigorously as instructed.
- You have to get the car seats infant manufacturer’s guide in order to respect safety dispositions and recalls that can affect the product.